When it comes to starting a woodworking business, there are a lot of things you need to do! Use this free printable woodworking business start-up checklist to get your business off to a great start!
You can download the free PDF printable of this business startup checklist at the bottom of this page!
Steps to Starting Your Woodworking Business
Below is the list of everything you need to do when starting your woodworking business.
Step 1: Create a Business Plan
- Choose Your Business’s Legal Structure (Individual Proprietor, Partnership, LLC, etc.)
- Name Your Business
- Write Your Mission Statement
- Write Your Elevator Pitch
- Define Your Niche
- Research Your Target Market
- Research Your Competition
- Decide What Products to Sell
- Determine What Price to Set For Your Products
- Estimate Start-Up Costs
- Set Measurable Goals
Step 2: Setup Your Business
- Meet With Small Business Attorney and Accountant
- Register Your Business Name
- Apply for EIN#/Tax-Exempt ID
- Apply for Necessary Permits/Licenses
- Open a Business Checking Account
- Create a Stripe/Paypal Account
- Choose Your Online Shop Platform
- Purchase Small Business Insurance
- Setup Accounting Software and System for Keeping Records
Step 3: Setting Up Your Workspace
- Organize Your Workshop Space
- Organize a Shipping Area
- Create a System for Managing Inventory
- Organize Your Office Space
- Order Necessary Supplies and Materials for Products
- Order Packaging and Shipping Supplies
Step 4: Create Your Online Web Presence
- Register Domain for Your Business Website
- Purchase Hosting For Your Website
- Create Social Media Accounts – Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, YouTube, etc.
- Design Your Logo or Hire a Graphic Designer
- Setup Your Website and Blog or Hire a Web Developer
- Setup Your Online Shop
- Setup Business Email
- Create & Build Email Mailing List
Step 5: Selling Your Products
- Make Products
- Photograph Products
- Research Product Keywords
- Write Detailed Product Descriptions
- List Products for Sale in Your Shop
Step 6: Marketing Your Business
- Create a marketing plan
- Schedule Your Newsletters
- Create & Order Business Cards
- Post to Social Media Channels
- Notify Your Circle of Influence
- Join Networking Groups
- Create a Blog Posting Schedule
While it may seem overwhelming to start a woodworking business, this checklist will help make sure you stay focused and on-task!
Download the Free Printable Checklist!
Here is a preview of what the printable woodworking business checklist looks like. You can see I also added a space for you to add your own to-do list items.
There is no sign-up necessary to download the free checklist – just click on the download link below to download the file!
Click Here to Download the Free Printable Woodworking Business Checklist PDF
Looking for more great resources for starting your woodworking business? Check out these other posts on our website:
- Woodworking Business Name Ideas
- Most Profitable Woodworking Projects to Make and Sell
- 15 Woodworking Business Opportunities
- 59 Marketing Ideas for Your Woodworking Business
I hope this business start-up checklist is helpful for you in starting your woodworking business – Tell me about your woodworking business plan in the comments section below!